Cleveland Community Police Forum (CCPF), Jeppe Community Police Forum and Cleveland SAPS held a crime awareness campaign at Rhodes Park on September 2.
Chairperson of CCPF Godfrey Mothibe said the forum wanted to educate residents about crime.
“We shared general safety tips with the community. We invited residents to take part in the campaign and it was a success.
“Residents also had an opportunity to ask SAPS officers on matters of recruitment to become police officers,” he said.
Mothibe pleaded with residents to attend community policing forum meetings.
Also read: Crime awareness campaign to be held
“We would also like to see more residents at our public meetings every first Tuesday of each month,” he said.
The following safety tips were shared with the public during the event:
• Do not allow strangers onto your premises or into your house without having identified the person properly, especially at night.
• Implement proper property key control measures.
• Identify keys by means of codes instead of indicating in writing on labels to which gate/door access can be gained.
• Keys to the safe must be kept on your person.
• Never hide any keys in traditional places, such as in pot plants or under doormats.
• Keys in the keyhole on the inside of the front or back door should be turned to avoid easy removal.
• Change locks when keys are lost.
• Insert barring devices in door locks.
• Remove keys from doors when leaving.